NHS Vounteering in Chigwell finally become a rewarding experience

Image of part of the Good sam App which reveals some of the restrictions volunteers can add to their volunteer experience.

By Wilson Chowdhry

As an NHS volunteer, I have had a very difficult start to volunteering via the GoodSam App. The app was initially very difficult to follow, and then once I understood how to operate it, I received no notifications for the first month.

Suddenly, over the last three weeks however, the app became very busy with alerts. But to my chagrin and disappointment, the app only sent me contact details for clients who had already been helped or for some other reason did not need any help.

I persisted with the app, though articles in newspapers across the country spoke of the large wave of applicants who were leaving the volunteer programme.

I am glad I did now, as two days ago I was able to report a safeguarding concern regarding a +70's client who had fallen from a ladder after trapping her leg. Moreover, yesterday I was able to do some shopping for another very grateful +70's resident of Chigwell who needed some small shopping done. Today, one other local resident has informed me of a prescription that they need collected from a local pharmacy, and I have offered to call back on Friday to help with that.

I may not be able to carry on supporting those self-isolating beyond July, but till then I hope to be able to continue to serve as many vulnerable in our community, as they try to survive the COVID-19 virus that has brought our world to a literal standstill.

What has amazed me during the government lockdown is the courageous nature of so many people who have continued to volunteer, despite the risk to themselves. Many who have returned to work continue to support the charities, groups and individuals they helped from the outset of the lockdown, albeit on a much reduced basis.

For those of you who may have been perturbed by the reports of failures with the GoodSam App used for NHS volunteering, let me help you put your fears away. The App is now working and volunteer opportunities are arising. You can fit your volunteer hours around your requirements as the app has a switch on and off facility and there are a range of differing volunteer opportunities.

The COVID-19 lockdown has been a testing time for all of us, but what stories will you share with future generations? The GoodSAM app led NHS volunteering scheme, is one good way to ensure you can describe an active role in the healing of our nation.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Dickens, is going on in Chigwell?

Great News! The Chigwell Yellow Bus is going to increase the number of buses for school provision which will reduce travel times for students using their services!

Disruption to bin collections in Epping Forest District